Re: How to create vm instance to specific compute node?

On 12/30/2012 04:25 PM, Rick Jones wrote:
> On 12/27/2012 02:39 PM, Jay Pipes wrote:
>> No.
>
> Pity - I'd just gotten used to that mechanism :)

The one constant in OpenStack development is change, as well you know! ;)

>> Use nova boot --availability_zone=nova:hostname where nova: is your
>> availability zone and hostname is the hostname of the compute node you
>> wish to put the instance on.
>>
>> Note this is an admin-only ability by default and can oversubscribe the
>> compute node the instance goes on.
>
> Will it use the same /var/lib/nova/sch_hosts/<id> mechanism to allow
> mere mortals to use it like the onhost stuff did?

Vish and others would know more, but AFAIK, the specifying of
--availability_zone=nova:<hostname> is an admin-only operation. I
believe the reasoning is that a cloud is a cloud, and hosts should be of
no consequence to a cloud user -- they shouldn't know need or want to
know what physical machine a guest ends up on.

Best,
-jay