Re: [Cinder] cinder-agent

On Fri, Jan 4, 2013 at 11:39 AM, Akira Yoshiyama
<akirayoshiyama@xxxxxxxxx>wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> JOSUG (Japanese OpenStack User Group) had a regular hackathon in Tokyo
> last month.
> We discussed about Quantum and Cinder, and got an idea about
> 'cinder-agent'.
>
> Now Cinder has many server-side drivers for volume service and
> nova-compute has
> client-side drivers to use it. If other software like CloudStack,
> OpenNebula and so on use
> Cinder, they will have to implement their own client-side drivers for
> Cinder. But they don't
> have to do it for Quantum because it has a client service
> 'quantum-agent' and others.
>
> I think Cinder should have its own client service 'cinder-agent'.
> There are many benefits:
>
> * We can remove volume-related drivers (server/client side) from Nova
> perfectly.
>   * Nova can be used with newer/older Cinder.
>   * Both-side volume drivers can be added or updated with one patch for
> Cinder.
> * Attaching/detaching volume API can be simple because Cinder can use
> RPC to do them.
>   For example:
>     Attaching volume request:
>       POST
> /v2/{tenant_id}/servers/{server_id}/os-volume_attachments_with_agent
>       {'volume'] '{volume_id}', 'host': '{host_name}'}
>     Response body:
>       {'volume': '{volume_id}', 'host': '{host_name}', 'path':
> '{device_path}'}
>     # {host_name}: the host name with nova-compute and cinder-agent
> * Of course, any software can use Cinder without client-side volume
> drivers.
>
> Any comments?
>
> Regards,
>    Akira YOSHIYAMA <akirayoshiyama@xxxxxxxxx>

Hi Akira,

This is something I've thought about a little bit but to be honest it's
been very low on my priority list.  I've be very interested in pursuing the
idea further and getting more input/feedback from the community.  I think
there are some significant benefits to this for NTT and a few other end
users as well as obvious wins for those vendors with storage drivers in
Cinder.

Thanks,
John