Wasted Compute node disk space

We are in the process of replacing our Diablo KVM infrastructure with
Folsom.  Up until now, our virts have been using the local Compute node's
disk space for their images which, obviously, defeats much of the purpose
of a virtualizing.  We are ready to implement an iSCSI SAN, but we're a bit
bummed that we're going to essentially be wasting the copious disk space on
all the systems we ordered to serve as Compute nodes.

SO... we were' thinking about doubling up our Compute nodes and Swift
storage nodes, fully aware that this might require us to reserve more cores
for the KVM host.

Has any one else tried this?  Is this clearly a bad, bad, bad idea?

Thanks.
--
\*..+.-
--Greg Chavez