Re: Difference between Swift and Cinder

[Cinder] (born from nova-volume)
The goal of the Cinder project is to separate the existing nova-volume
block service into its own project.

[Swift]
Swift is a highly available, distributed, eventually consistent object/blob
store. Organizations can use Swift to store lots of data efficiently,
safely, and cheaply.

Cinder is an project to leverage different backend storage pool as "block
devices" for Nova instance .

Swift is an object storage . The way to keep  files (objects) eventually
consistent.

There're many differences between Cinder and Swift.

In a short summary , swift is not that good for very fast real-time I/O .
And the object contents is unstructured . Looks like a box but you can not
open it. Once you modify the content , the whole object will be a new one
box.  Cinder provides user a pool for creating volume disk which  present
as block level driver.

If you ask me a question :
Could swift's container be an instance's virtual disk? The answer is "YES"
but in high risk.

Cheers
Hugo