Provider network problems

Third time is a charm, but is there a better list for these types of
questions?

I am trying to get multiple public ips working, I've tried multiple vifs
but got stuck so I switched to possibly using a provider network and just
patching the vms to the physical network
(https://lists.launchpad.net/openstack/msg20571.html).

I currently have the bridges setup with OVS and setup a flat provider
network in quantum. If I have a dhcp server on the provider network, the
nodes get an ip address but are inaccessible via that IP. Previously if
there was a private vm network also attached to the machine I could access
them via that and configure the interface, to the same result the
interface is effectively dead. I'm not sure if this is some sort of
firewall problem or something else entirely but I don't know how to debug
this one. Is there any way to test that I setup the network correctly or
does anyone have insight into this problem?

Thanks,
Trevor Adams