initramfs-growroot or LVM

Hi all,
I'm preparing some cloud images for the major Linux distributions and I'd like they to grow their root fs on boot (to use all the available space).

Ubuntu cloud images (http://cloud-images.ubuntu.com) use initramfs-growroot but installing it (and maintaining it across kernel upgrade) could be tricky -at least for me- on redhat derived like centos or fedora.

So my question is: what are pros and cons of using an ext3/4 root-fs and initramfs-growroot, or LVM (with a custom script that runs on first boot)?

Thanks,
 Davide.

Follow ups