Re: Cant ping private or floating IP

Metadata API allows to fetch SSH credentials when booting (pubkey I mean).
If a VM is unable to reach metadata service, then it won't be able to get its public key, so you won't be able to connect, unless you specifically go thru a Password authentication (provided password auth is enabled in /etc/ssh/sshd_config, which is not the case with Ubuntu cloud archive). There is also a side effect, the boot process is longer as the instance is waiting for the curl timeout (60sec.) to finish booting up.

Re: Quantum, the metadata API is actually DNAT'd from Network node to the Nova-api node (here 172.16.0.1 as internal management IP) :
Chain quantum-l3-agent-PREROUTING (1 references)
DNAT tcp -- 0.0.0.0/0 169.254.169.254 tcp dpt:80 to:172.16.0.1:8775

Anyway, the first step is to :
1. grab the console.log
2. access thru VNC to the desired instance

Troubleshooting will be easier once that done.

-Sylvain