Re: external dhcp server instead of dnsmasq

It is unfortunately regenerated every time an instance is launched, but if you want to test editing it is referenced in the commmandline for dnsmasq. for example on devstack:

--dhcp-hostsfile=/opt/stack/data/nova/br100.conf

Vish

On Feb 19, 2013, at 11:49 AM, Ritesh Nanda <riteshnanda09@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Thanks vish,
>
>      Can you tell me the location of the external host file we provide to dnsmasq , so that i can try putting the directive there.
>
> On Wed, Feb 20, 2013 at 1:07 AM, Vishvananda Ishaya <vishvananda@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> You cannot have an external dhcp server with openstack. Openstack needs a way to know the ip address assigned to a vm to do its listing properly. If you don't care about the api returning valid ips there is a possibility of using FlatNetworking (not FlatDHCP) to make nova stick the network into a bridge and not do any dhcp at all. You could then have an external server serving up dhcp ips. I suspect you will probably have to disable security groups completely using NoopFirewallDriver driver to get this to work.
>
> As to the reason dhcp-host is not working, I suspect is because we give dnsmasq an external hosts file so you probably would need the host directive there.
>
> Vish
>
> On Feb 19, 2013, at 4:44 AM, Ritesh Nanda <riteshnanda09@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> Hope Vish can answer this , what can be the way around to do this.
>>
>> On Tue, Feb 19, 2013 at 2:01 PM, Razique Mahroua <razique.mahroua@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Hi,
>> I'm not sure the "dhcp-host" configuration option exists actually. As for having one another host in VLAN mode is something I'd be interested to know as well
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Razique Mahroua - Nuage & Co
>> razique.mahroua@xxxxxxxxx
>> Tel : +33 9 72 37 94 15
>>
>> <NUAGECO-LOGO-Fblan_petit.jpg>
>>
>> Le 19 févr. 2013 à 08:05, Ritesh Nanda <riteshnanda09@xxxxxxxxx> a écrit :
>>
>>> Hello ,
>>>
>>> Is it possible to use external dhcp server , instead of dnsmasq .
>>> I am using openstack essex, with vlan manager as network,  I have a need where i need to implement dynamic dns,
>>> so using dhcp3 as dhcp-server and bind9 as dns is possible.
>>>
>>> Or is there any way in openstack i can implement dynamic dns in openstack.
>>>
>>> One more problem which i am facing , dnsmasq has a option to assign static ip to a particular hostname using dhcp-host
>>> parameter in dnsmasq config file.
>>>
>>> i tried it doing by defining  the config file of dnsmasq in nova.conf
>>>
>>> --dnsmasq_config_file=/etc/nova/dnsmasq.conf
>>>
>>> then in dnsmasq config file
>>>
>>> i gave options for a particular subnet.
>>>

>>> dhcp-range=Tenant-operator,10.0.50.3,10.0.50.254,255.255.255.0,24h
>>> dhcp-option=Tenant-operator,6,10.0.50.7
>>> domain=operator.com,10.0.50.0/24,local