Re: Comparing OpenStack to OpenNebula

Hi Shawn,

Le 25/02/2013 06:20, Shawn Starr a écrit :
Hello folks,

I am starting to look at OpenStack and noticed there are some things it
doesn't seem to be able to do right now?

1) Managing the nova-compute (hypervisor) - I see no options on how to control
what nova-compute nodes can be 'provisioned' into an OpenStack cloud, I'd
consider that a security risk (potentially) if any computer could just
register to become a nova-compute?
There are various ways for implementing security on Nova-compute. One would be to grant mysql access for keystone and nova to only some IPs, it would be enough for preventing nova-compute to start (and consequently avoiding this hypervisor to be elected for new instances). I do admit this is a very basic test which doesn't prevent the host to be compromised, of course.

The reason I ask this question is how do we handle hardware failures? How can
we manually move a instance/VM off a nova-compute? I see instructions on
setting up the hypervisor to move VM instances but no actual commands to issue
a move manually.

2) Can we build a diskless nova-compute? just one kernel/initramfs with the
various configurations, libvirt, file storage network mounts, openvswitch setup
etc inside it?

These two questions can be answered by implementing a shared resource system for Nova instances, like GlusterFS and allowing libvirt to perform live migrations.
http://docs.openstack.org/trunk/openstack-compute/admin/content/live-migration-usage.html
http://gluster.org/community/documentation//index.php/OSConnect

3) keystone seems a lot of work to setup with all the various URLs, we plan to
streamline this somehow?
I don't get the point. There is only an initial setup to do for creating endpoints and services, but that's it.
Even this step can be automated thanks to some 3rd-party tools, like Puppet.
http://docs.openstack.org/trunk/openstack-compute/admin/content/ch_openstack-compute-automated-installations.html

When I used OpenNebula I found the installation similar but simpler (a
clear distinction between hypervisors themselves and managing them and
managing the VM instances overall). While OpenStack is new I would expect it
to be missing functionality currently.

Could you please explain what is your need ?

Hope it helps,
-Sylvain

Thanks,
Shawn