Help with keystone LDAP backend

Hey all,
I have some questions about using the LDAP backend for keystone. I'm in what seems to be an odd situation. I have an organization-wide DLAP directory that already exists. All of our users will have access to OpenStack, so we want to tie directly into this directory. However, we can't have service accounts mixed in with the regular users, at least not in any way that might result in you being able to log in to a service account. For neatness, the directory admin would prefer that all the OpenStack stuff be off in its own OU (and has allocated us one so we can do that). In that OU, I've set up the recommended schema from http://docs.openstack.org/trunk/openstack-compute/admin/content/configuring-keystone-for-ldap-backend.html (changing it to my domain, obviously). I then aliased all our users in to ou=Users. The relevant part of my keystone.conf currently looks like:

[ldap]
url = ldap://[host]
user = cn=admin,ou=OpenStack,dc=acm,dc=jhu,dc=edu
password = [password]
suffix = dc=acm,dc=jhu,dc=edu
use_dumb_member = False
allow_subtree_delete = False
query_scope = sub

As near as I can tell, this should correspond to this query:
$ ldapsearch -x -D cn=admin,ou=OpenStack,dc=acm,dc=jhu,dc=edu -w [password] -b dc=acm,dc=jhu,dc=edu '(objectclass=inetOrgPerson)' -s sub

Which returns my aliased users correctly. (that is, it returns "dn: uid=[uid],ou=People,dc=acm,dc=jhu,dc=edu" for each user).

I really can't figure out whats going on here. Logically, this should work, but (obviously) doesn't. Anyone have some advice for me? My suspicion is that query_scope=sub isn't doing what I expect. (Returning search results from within a subtree)

Oh, finally, I have DEREF always enabled in ldap.conf.

Thanks,
Steve

Follow ups