[OpenStack] How to speed up the instance launch time?

Hi,

I have a Folsom 2012.2 3 nodes setup like the one specified at
https://github.com/mseknibilel/OpenStack-Folsom-Install-guide/blob/master/OpenStack_Folsom_Install_Guide_WebVersion.rst.
Each node has a 1Tb hard disk with no raid.

Be it the image creation or the Instance creation, takes a long time(factor
of the disk size of the image), about 15mins for a 20gb image. I can
understand the slow image creation due to the http transfer of the file
from a seperate web server hosting my images to the controller node. But
even the instance creation takes that much or even a bit longer. I see that
the image is copied from the Controller to Compute node and multiple copies
are make in the compute node. So all this takes long an dis proportional to
the image size. Is there any way to speed up this process? Is a SAN based
backend the only way to go?

Regards,
Balu

Follow ups