Glance with S3 backend

I'm a little confused about Glance's capabilities when used with S3 as the
backend.

In the newly written Operations Guide, it states (under Cloud Controller
Design):

The glance-api part is an abstraction layer that allows a choice of
backend. Currently, it supports:

   - OpenStack Object Storage, which allows the storage of images as
   objects.
   - File System, which uses any traditional file system for storing the
   images as files.
   - S3, which allows the fetching of images from Amazon S3 (no images can
   be written using this mode).
   - HTTP, which allows the fetching of images from a web server (no images
   can be written using this mode).

It says that "no images can be written" using S3.
However in glance-api.conf it says:

When sending images to S3, the data will first be written to a
temporary buffer on disk.

Which is it? Can Glance use S3 as a full backend to write snapshots,
upload images, etc..?

PS: I know the goal of the Operations Guide was to finish it in 5
days, but there are a lot of typos and grammatical errors...maybe 7
days next time?

Follow ups