Re: Network node needed?

No it's not needed, you just run quantum-server, the L3 agent, the DHCP
agent, and the plugin agent (probably open vSwitch) all on the controller.
You'll just need to plan out which NICs you'll use for what purpose and
setup accordingly.

As a side note, you'll also need to run the plugin agent on all your
compute nodes