Re: Google Summer of Code

Mentors need to fill out specific projects on an Ideas page on the
OpenStack wiki. Here are specifics from their FAQ about what OpenStack as a
project needs to do to apply. Applications open Monday 3/18 and are due
3/29.

1. How does a mentoring organization apply?

The organization should choose a single administrator to submit its
proposal via the *Google Summer of Code* 2013 site between March 18 - March
29, 2013.
2. What should a mentoring organization proposal look like?

In addition to anything else your organization would like to submit as an
proposal, Google will be asking (at least) the following questions as part
of the proposal process:

   1. Describe your organization.
   2. Why is your organization applying to participate in *Google Summer of
   Code* 2013? What do you hope to gain by participating?
   3. Has your organization participated in past *Google Summer of Codes*?
   (yes/no)
   4. If you answered “yes” to the question above, please summarize your
   involvement and the successes and challenges of your participation. Please
   also list your pass/fail rate for each year.
   5. If your organization has not previously participated in *Google
   Summer of Code*, have you applied in the past? If so, for what year(s)?
   6. What Open Source Initiative
approved<http://www.opensource.org/licenses/alphabetical>license(s)
does your project use?
   7. What is the URL for your Ideas list? **This is the most important
   part of your proposal. Please make sure we can access it and it is complete
   when you submit this proposal. “Placeholder” or inaccessible ideas pages
   will be grounds for an automatic rejection for participation in *Google
   Summer of Code* 2013.**
   8. What is the main development mailing list for your organization?
   9. What is the main IRC channel for your organization?
   10. Who will be your backup organization administrator?
   11. What criteria did you use to select the mentors? Please be as
   specific as possible.
   12. What is your plan for dealing with disappearing students? Please be
   as specific as possible.
   13. What is your plan for dealing with disappearing mentors? Please be
   as specific as possible.
   14. What steps will you take to encourage students to interact with your
   project's community before, during and after the program?
   15. Are you a new organization who has a Googler or other organization
   to vouch for you? If so, please list their name(s) here.
   16. Are you an established or larger organization who would like to
   vouch for a new organization applying this year? If so, please list their
   name(s) here.
   17. What will you do to encourage that your accepted students stick with
   the project after *Google Summer of Code* concludes?

A few notes on the mentoring organization proposal:

   - If you take a look at the program
timeline<http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/events/google/gsoc2013>,
   we've left two weeks for students to get to know you before submitting
   their proposals. It is critical that it be obvious how students should
   reach you to discuss applying to your organization; plan to link this
   information from your Ideas list at the very least.
   - The email addresses associated with the Google Account information
   provided during the proposal process will be used as the primary mode of
   contact by Google throughout the program, e.g. the email address which we
   will use to subscribe you to the *Google Summer of
Code*mentors/admins-only mailing
list<http://groups.google.com/group/google-summer-of-code-mentors-list>
   .
   - In addition to the proposal, the mentoring organization will be
   required to sign a Mentoring Organization Participation
Agreement<http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/document/show/gsoc_program/google/gsoc2013/org_admin_agreement>
   .

 3. What is an Ideas list?

An Ideas list should be a list of suggested student projects. This list is
meant to introduce contributors to your project's needs and to provide
inspiration to would-be student applicants. It is useful to classify each
idea as specifically as possible, e.g. "must know Python" or "easier
project; good for a student with more limited experience with C++." If your
organization plans to provide a proposal template for the students, it
would be good to include it on your Ideas list.

Keep in mind that your ideas list should be a starting point for student
proposals; we've heard from past mentoring organization participants that
some of their best student projects are those that greatly expanded on a
proposed idea or were blue-sky proposals not mentioned on the ideas list at
all. A link to a bug tracker for your open source organization is NOT an
ideas list.

You can check out the Ideas list for
KDE<http://community.kde.org/GSoC/2011/Ideas>for
*Google Summer of Code* in 2011 to get an idea of what we’re looking for in
an ideas list.