Openstack Metadata Service

Hi,

We have deployed OpenStack using the guide provided at the OpenStack
webpage:

Host A : controller node

Host B : network node

Host C : compute node

Everything went fine during the installation process, but when we try to
instantiate a VM, the logs show that the VMs are unable to connect to the
metadata service (169.254.169.254).

We've tried this with the Ubuntu image and the Cirros image, but the result
is the same.

>From what I understood, without the retrieval of the metadata from the
server, the keys are not downloaded to the VM, is this correct?

Because we can ping the IP address assigned to the VM from the network node,
and if we assign a floating IP to the VM, the public IP also responds to
ping replys.

But we are unable to ssh into the VMs, with the error: "Read from socket
failed: Connection reset by peer"

If we try to telnet into the public IP this is the result:

controller@controller:~$ telnet x.x.x.x 22

Trying x.x.x.x...

Connected to x.x.x.x.

Escape character is '^]'.

SSH-2.0-OpenSSH_5.9p1 Debian-5ubuntu1

Protocol mismatch.

Connection closed by foreign host.

Questions:

In which node is the metadata service supposed to be running (compute,
network or controller)?

Should the IP address 169.254.169.254 be reachable outside the VM?

Is there an alternative to the metadata service?

Kind regards,

Bruno Parreira

Follow ups