Re: Grizzly release notes and the never-ending image-cache-manager issue

On Fri, Apr 5, 2013 at 7:20 AM, Lorin Hochstein
<lorin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Michael (et al):
>
> The Grizzly release notes
> <https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/ReleaseNotes/Grizzly> say:
>
> "The image-cache-manager has been turned on by default. This may have
> potential issues for users who are using a shared filesystem for their
> instances_path. Set remove_unused_base_images=false in your nova.conf file
> on your compute nodes to revert this behaviour."
>
> My understanding was that in Grizzly, this wasn't an issue since shared
> storage was automatically detected (e.g.
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/nova/+bug/1075018)

This is my understanding as well -- that we now detect shared storage
and do the right thing. I don't have any data on how much real world
testing that code has experienced though.

> Is it safe to zap this from the release notes?

Safe is a relative thing. I'd be more comfortable if I knew that
someone had deployed the code and had a good experience, but when I
ask on the operators list I get puzzled stares...

Michael