Re: Local storage and Xen with Libxl

Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 19, 2013 at 01:43:23PM +0300, Cristian Tomoiaga wrote:
>
>> As for the compute part, I may need to work with libvirt but I want to
>> avoid that if possible. Libxl was meant for stacks right ? Again, this may
>> not be acceptable and I would like to know.
>>

> Nova already has two drivers which support Xen, one using XenAPI and
> the other using libvirt. Libvirt itself will either use the legacy
> XenD/XenStore APIs, or on new enough Xen will use libxl.
>
> libxl is a pretty low level interface, not really targetted for direct
> application usage, but rather for building management APIs like libvirt
> or XCP. IMHO it would not really be appropriate for OpenStack to directly
> use libxl. Given that Nova already has two virt drivers which can work
> with Xen, I also don't really think there's a need to add a 3rd using
> libxl.

Absolutely agreed, we do not want a libxl nova virt driver :).

FYI, I have not tried the libvirt libxl driver on Xen compute nodes -
all of my nodes are running the legacy xend toolstack and thus using the
legacy libvirt xen driver.  (I plan to switch these nodes to the new
toolstack in the Xen 4.3 timeframe.)  That said, the libxl driver should
work on a Xen compute node running the libxl stack.  I still haven't
finished the migration patch for the libvirt libxl driver, so migration
between "libxl" Xen compute nodes is not possible.

Regards,
Jim