Re: How to configure nova-network for a single node

On Apr 23, 2013, at 8:44 AM, Daniel Ellison <daniel@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I've slowly been configuring a single server with OpenStack for a proof-of-concept I want to present to my managers. This single server is co-located and directly exposed to the Internet. It has one active Ethernet port (eth0) and one inactive and disconnected Ethernet port (eth1). I've already set up br100 over eth0 (I was using KVM on this machine previously, so bridging was already set up). This machine has an entire class "C" IPv4 network (256 IPs) available to it.

I managed to get everything configured. For my setup I used eth0 as the public interface and eth1 as the internal interface. eth1 is not connected to anything. I added a bridge and attached it to eth1. Here is my /etc/network/interfaces now:

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback
    pre-up iptables-restore < /etc/iptables.up.rules

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet static
    network 204.187.138.0
    gateway 204.187.138.1
    address 204.187.138.2
    broadcast 204.187.138.255
    netmask 255.255.255.0

auto eth1
iface eth1 inet manual

auto br100
iface br100 inet static
    address 10.10.10.2
    netmask 255.255.255.0
    bridge_ports eth1
    bridge_stp off
    bridge_fd 0
    bridge_maxwait 0

The networking section of my /etc/nova/nova.conf looks like this:

my_ip=204.187.138.2
public_interface=eth0
flat_interface=eth1
flat_network_bridge=br100
flat_network_dhcp_start=10.10.10.129
fixed_range=10.10.10.128/27
floating_range=204.187.138.128/27
network_size=32
auto_assign_floating_ip=True

So now when I create a VM it gets an IP from the private 10.10.10.128 subnet and it gets assigned a floating (public) IP. This is what a running instance looks like with nova list:

| ID                                   | Name    | Status | Networks                              |
| 8b62a51a-3d35-4160-a299-01e1102082af | precise | ACTIVE | private=10.10.10.129, 204.187.138.129 |

(Sorry if the table looks horrible with a proportional font.)

Everything works as expected: I'm able to SSH into the VM from the Internet via its public IP and on the server itself using either IP. I thought I would put all these details here for when someone else comes along looking for the same information. If anyone has any suggestions, improvements or corrections, please point them out.

Daniel