Re: OpenStack Training

On Thu, Apr 25, 2013 at 2:15 PM, Chris Bartels <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> wrote:

> Hi,****
>
> ** **
>
> My experience with virtualization has been limited to the ProxmoxVE
> platform, and with it I’m quite adept after working with it for a few
> years, however I’m looking forward to migrating to OpenStack & would like
> to find a way to learn as much about it as I can, in as efficient a manner
> as possible.****
>
> ** **
>
> I’m currently in the process of selling my laptop on eBay so that I can
> buy a cheap used server with which to tinker with the new OpenStack Grizzly
> release so I can start to learn first-hand about working with the software,
> so I have that to look forward to, but I’m also on the lookout for more
> opportunities to soak up information.****
>
> ** **
>
> Today I found the ‘OpenStack Foundation’ YouTube channel, and have been
> watching videos all morning. I’m happy with this to a degree. One in
> particular entitled “Solving The OpenStack Talent Gap” turned me on to a
> resource called ‘Cloud Academy’, which seemed promising at first, but after
> getting registered with them- as far as I can tell they don’t have training
> content up & available yet, as their project is in its infancy apparently.
> ****
>
> ** **
>
> So I come to you all here on the list for suggestions as to whether there
> exists reputable formal online training that I can sign up for somewhere-
> free is better however I don’t mind spending a thousand dollars for
> top-notch training if it provides an industry recognized certification at
> the end such as the CompTIA A+ (which I’m signed up for this fall, btw-
> because it’s the closest I can get to what I’m after at the local community
> college).****
>
> ** **
>
> What do people here know that I don’t know about OpenStack learning &
> training? Do any programs stand out as being great that you know of?****
>
> ** **
>
> Please advise.****
>
> ** **
>
> ** **
>
> Kindest Regards,****
>
> -Chris****

> Hey Chris,

Welcome, I don't have much input regarding your questions on the best
training resources other than docs and diving in to OpenStack.

That being said, you might want to reconsider selling your laptop, you can
run OpenStack in a VM on your laptop just fine, and in fact checkout:
http://devstack.org for a very easy way to get started and experimenting
with OpenStack.

Good Luck,
John