Re: release process and sample configs

On Mon, Apr 29, 2013 at 10:50 AM, Thierry Carrez <thierry@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>wrote:

> Darren Birkett wrote:
> > I've noticed that a lot of the projects do not get their sample configs
> > updated as part of the release process.  I'd suggest that one of the
> > final commits to each project before a release is cut, is to update the
> > sample config so it's relevant to the codebase that's being released and
> > packaged.
> >
> > For those that aren't aware, in each project there is a script that can
> > be run that will parse the entire project tree and extract all options
> > cleanly into a new sample config file, so it need not be an onerous task

Yes, docs uses that sample config file. We also have a Blueprint in
progress to automatically generate docs from conf code. [1] Tom Fifield has
a working proof-of-concept I believe.

We do need developers to group config settings in ways that make sense to
deployers. We can try to keep an eye on code that does this but ideally
each project will know to keep an eye out for merges that should include
re-built sample config files.

> That's a very good point. This should be done before the first release
> candidate is cut -- and tested/refreshed if necessary afterwards. I'll
> add it to the release process.
>
> > I also think that the entire sample config should go into the docs for a
> > release, so that people (non devs) don't need to hunt around in the
> > source code to find the elusive option they want to use.
>
> I'll let Anne comment on that, but it sounds sane to me :)

I think it's a fantastic idea and we want to make it worth your while.

Anne

[1]
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/openstack-manuals/+spec/autogenerate-config-tables