Re: launching multiple VMs takes very long time

This presentation from the summit might be of interest to you:

http://www.openstack.org/summit/portland-2013/session-videos/presentation/scaling-the-boot-barrier-identifying-and-eliminating-contention-in-openstack

I couldn't find just the slide deck anywhere so far.

Your issue is different being that you're seeing 30 minute launch time, that's extreme, but this info might help you get a high level picture of the flow.

Melanie