Re: Stderr: "qemu-nbd: Failed to bdrv_open when attempting to boot from cinder volume

Hi Mark,

Thanks for your answer.

What I noticed is that this issue happens only when I try to start a VMfrom a
bootable volume. I created the colume with
cinder create --image-id __image_id__ volume_name.

I don't see it when I boot a VM from an image in glance (nova boot --image
__image_id__ --flavor __flavor_id__ vm_name).
Which runs just fine. I can ping and ssh into the VM. But this is ephemeral
boot and I want to be able to boot on a
persistent volume so that the application won't lose data from previous
session. And you are right, I can see nova-compute
getting around nbd module in this case.

I followed the instructions in this paragraph (http://docs.openstack
.org/grizzly/openstack-compute/admin/content/instance-creation.html#boot_from_volume)
but without success until now.

Did you manage to boot from a volume? If nbd is not the right module to use
then what else should I use to boot a VM from
a persistent volume?

Thanks for your help,
Amine.