Re: New code name for networks

On Sat, May 11, 2013 at 3:12 PM, Monty Taylor <mordred@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 05/11/2013 04:07 PM, Asher Newcomer wrote:
> > Or even better, just continue to call it openstack networking. The code
> > names only serve to confuse the uninitiated. They needlessly steepen the
> > learning curve and slow uptake.
>
> The problem with OpenStack Networking (or getting rid of codenames) is
> seen with pre-incubation->incubation->integrated cycle.
>
> A project cannot call itself "OpenStack Foo" until it actually _is_
> openstack foo. So any new project by necessity has to start off as
> something else.
>
> But - if we then require them to drop that name and become openstack foo
> when they become incubated or integrated, then we've got what's become a
> stable project with a decent amount of contributors renaming itself.
>
> Every. Time.
>
> The code names aren't just cute. I kind of wish they were, because it
> would make several things much easier if we could just ditch them and do
> a pure openstack. code namespace. But the reality is that it gets really
> really tricky to deal with a bunch of things if they go away.

I told Monty and the TC this at the Summit (sorry I couldn't attend the
session about code names). I find this trickiness a weak argument in the
face of the invented names that are getting to be as bad as U.S.
pharmaceuticals. Plus it forces us to put a "lookup" table in the docs
forever. [1] Let's find a process for naming that meets a few reqs:
- describes the service
- goes through a legal review
- enables new eyes to understanding it by reading the English word that the
service represents (that can be translated into a meaningful word in other
languages)

If we have to preface with Stackforge to indicate pre-incubation, that's
fine. Use Incubating or some such to indicate incubation. Meaningful words
have meaning.

I acknowledge we still have to indicate what commands, daemon names, and so
on are related to a particular service. That issue is also fixable with
some resources and effort and pays off in easier adoption and understanding.

Anne

1.
http://docs.openstack.org/grizzly/openstack-compute/install/yum/content/terminology-codenames.html