 From: David Hadas <DAVIDH@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: Mark Brown <ntdeveloper2002@xxxxxxxxx>
Cc: "openstack@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <openstack@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, May 12, 2013 10:36 PM
Subject: Re: [Openstack] Swift questions.

Mark,

Regarding your first Q:

Swift evenly balance the hard-drives such that in a correctly configured system, you should expect one hard-drive being more full than the other.
There is manual a mechanism in swift to balance hard-drives by moving partitions to/from hard-drive but you should need to use it under normal conditions, it is likely that if your had-drives get full the right thing to do would be to add more hard-drives.

In any case you should care not about individual partitions 'getting full' as partitions are not allocated any specific space and can grow and shrink as needed as long as the hard-drive they are in have space.

DH

Regards,
David Hadas
Research Staff Member, Master Inventor