[ceilometer] support for older versions of ceilometer

The ceilometer team has had a few requests for help with older versions of
ceilometer or running the grizzly version of ceilometer with older versions
of other OpenStack components lately. We appreciate the level of interest
in the project but, as much as we would like to, unfortunately we are not
always able to help everyone with these "mixed" configurations. During the
early phases of our development we tried to maintain compatibility with
folsom, even well into the grizzly development cycle. We are no longer
doing that, however, and so to make clear what support we can offer, the
ceilometer team has put together the statement below. It has been added to
our documentation, and we are posting here to make sure everyone has a
chance to see it.

Regards,
Doug

The ceilometer team has limited capacity to provide support for older
versions of the project. Because the project graduated from incubation
around the time of the grizzly release, that is the first version for which
we will provide regular ongoing support following the standard deprecation
cycle for OpenStack [1]. The grizzly version of ceilometer  cannot be
installed on the same server with earlier versions of OpenStack because of
conflicting package requirements, but is API compatible with the folsom
release if installed separately.

[1] https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/StableBranch

Follow ups