openstack team mailing list archive
Mailing list archive
OpenStack Community Weekly Newsletter (May 24-31)
Havana-1 development milestone available
The first milestone of the Havana development cycle, "havana-1? is now
available for Keystone, Glance, Nova, Horizon, Networking, Cinder,
Ceilometer, and Heat. It contains all the new features that have been
added since the Grizzly pre-release Feature Freeze in March. Including
the oslo libraries, 63 blueprints were implemented and 671 bugs were
fixed during this milestone. The next development milestone, havana-2,
is scheduled for July 18th. Further details by Julien Danjou for
The challenge of the network
Lorin Hochstein <http://lorinhochstein.wordpress.com/> shared a very
detailed story about debugging the network in OpenStack-powered
instances. The story starts with a familiar message: I can't connect to
the instance. Hopefully his story will be shared by generations of new
OpenStack users and become legend.
Travel less, save more: introducing the OpenStack volume affinity
It is a common desire to have some storage space associated with an
instance running on cloud. It is also a common desire to have access to
it be as fast as possible. OpenStack doesn't provide a way to fine-tune
this particular option out of the box. Mirantis engineer Alexey
discusses how Mirantis implemented just such an extension, what
roadblocks have already been encountered, and what problems one may
encounter when using it.
OpenStack leaders learning by humility, doing and being good
Director Rob Hirschfeld <http://robhirschfeld.com/> shares his thoughts
about OpenStack leadership, open source collaboration and community.
What are your thoughts on the matter?
Notes from Board Meeting -- May 30th
The OpenStack Foundation Board of Directors had a telephone meeting on
May 30^th at 9:00am PDT/1600 UTC. The meeting lasted just about 2 hours,
but the Board ran through quite a few updates and short discussions on a
number of topics. The board approved and published the minutes for
previous meeting on the <https://the/>wiki
Executive director Jonathan Bryce has published a brief recap of May
Tips 'n Tricks
* By Jay Pipes <http://www.joinfu.com/>: Quick Gerrit review reminder
on inline comments
* By Sébastien Han <http://sebastien-han.fr/>: Grizzly Nova: what's
new in the API CLI?
* Missing expiration check in Keystone PKI tokens validation
* OpenStack Rocks in Poland
06, 2013 -- Szczecin, Poland Details
* OpenStack Meetup Chennai
08, 2013 -- Chennai, India Details
* Cloud Expo East 2013 <http://www.cloudcomputingexpo.com/> Jun 10 --
13, 2013 -- New York City, NY Details
* OpenStack meeting in Munich
<http://www.meetup.com/openstack-de/events/109700562/> Jun 11, 2013
-- Munich, Germany Details
* DatacenterDynamics Converged
Jun 11, 2013 -- Paris, France Details
* GigaOM Structure <http://event.gigaom.com/structure/> Jun 19 -- 20,
2013 -- San Francisco, CA Details <http://event.gigaom.com/structure/>
* Openstack a mezza scala!
20, 2013 -- Milano, Italy Details
* OpenStack DevCamp Essen
<https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/DevCamp/EssenGermany2013> Jun 21 --
23, 2013 -- Essen, Germany Details
* PyCon Australia -- OpenStack Miniconf
<http://2013.pycon-au.org/programme/schedule/friday> Jul 05, 2013 --
Hobart, Australia Details
* OSCON 2013 <http://www.oscon.com/oscon2013> Jul 22 -- 26, 2013 --
Portland, OR Details <http://www.oscon.com/oscon2013>
Reports from Previous Events
* Report: May month OpenStack meetup,Bangalore, India
* Stacker Voices: Russell Bryant, Red Hat
* Mark McLoughlin <http://blogs.gnome.org/markmc>'s recap of April
14th OpenStack Foundation Board Meeting
* OpenStack Project Meeting:Summary
and full logs
Welcome New Developers
* Zhou Xing, IBM
* Jan Provaznik, Redhat
* Yang Lei, IBM
* Simon Pasquier, None
* Chang Bo Guo, IBM
* Roman Bogorodskiy, Mirantis
Ask OpenStack <https://ask.openstack.org/> is the go-to destination for
OpenStack users. Interesting questions waiting for answers:
* What's the recommended way to snapshot images for cloud-init?
* Are there plans (or a specific timeframe) to OAuth/OpenID Connect
support in OpenStack APIs?
* How to setup security groups for IPv6 with nova-network?
* How does quantum (network-type: vlan) configure ESX-host VMs?
* Migrating Images from Diablo to Folsom.
* Can Openstack control VM's network bandwidth right now?
* Is it possible to access VMs in OpenStack cloud with VMware vSphere?
* Why do ebtables rules with share_dhcp_address block arp traffic?
* Is it possibile to create a quantum network with single nic card?
/The weekly newsletter is a way for the community to learn about all the
various activities occurring on a weekly basis. If you would like to add
content to a weekly update or have an idea about this newsletter, please
leave a comment./