From: Steve Heistand <steve.heistand@xxxxxxxx>
Date: 06/05/2013 7:08 PM (GMT-05:00)
To: Bruno Oliveira <brunnop.oliveira@xxxxxxxxx>
Cc: OpenStack <openstack@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Openstack] [HyperV][Quantum] Quantum dhcp agent not working for Hyper-V

is the MAC addr coming from the hyper-v on the dhcp request the same one the dhcp-agent is
expecting?

On 06/05/2013 03:23 PM, Bruno Oliveira wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> Guys, there's something regarding quantum that we've been hitting our heads
> against a wall for a few weeks, but can't figure out. Can you please
> take a look?
>
> Here's the scenario:
>
> We currently have a single-node devstack build, running nova (compute), glance,
> quantum (with OpenVSwitch), swift and cinder -- besides keystone and
> ceilometer.
>
> On that very same machine, our kvm hypervisor is running. Everything
> works like a charm with it:  dhcp, magic_ip (169.254.169.254), reaching
> in/outside networks, etc.
>

> Now for the issue: there's another host running hyper-v 2008 r2, and on
> top of that, we got Cloudbase's (cloudbase.it) Compute Driver for Hyper-V.
> That way, we're successfully being able to create VMs for it (Hyper-V), BUT...
>
> Even though there's a virtual switch in there (hyper-v), the network for the
> instances are not working -> the instances are not being assigned with an
> IP from quantum-dhcp UNLESS I use the FLAT NETWORK model to assign
> a public ip for each of them.   So...
>
> 1. Is there a must  to have ANOTHER quantum-server just for hyper-v nodes
> taking that I do not want to use Flat Network ?
> (by another, I mean one besides the working one I have for KVM)
>
> 2. In our case, we're intending to have NAT IPs for each of the instance we
> have running on hyper-v, not public_ips directly assigned to them, is
> it possible?
>
> After all the testing and research we did, we concluded that  we CAN
> see the DHCP broadcast coming from hyper-v (via tcpdump'ing on
> any interface that is on the same subnet) but the DHCP response/reply
> is not working.
>
> Note:  "$quantum agent-list"  DOES list the quantum-agent from kvm
> but not from hyper-v
>
> Does anyone have any guesses or suggestions of what we could
> possibly try ?
>

> Thank you a lot
>
> --
>
> Bruno Oliveira
> Developer, Software Engineer

 Steve Heistand                           NASA Ames Research Center
 SciCon Group                             Mail Stop 258-6
 steve.heistand@xxxxxxxx  (650) 604-4369  Moffett Field, CA 94035-1000
 "Any opinions expressed are those of our alien overlords, not my own."

# For Remedy                        #
#Action: Resolve                    #
#Resolution: Resolved               #
#Reason: No Further Action Required #