Re: [Swift] Upgrade Swift from ver1.4 to ver1.8

This is quite possible to do, and in fact one thing that we keep in mind with every Swift release: deployers must be able to upgrade without any lapse in availability.

The basic steps are:
- stop background processes
- upgrade packages (system and/or swift)
- restart processes
- start background tasks

The above steps could be done for storage servers and then for proxy servers (assuming you have those as separate boxes). Overall, you upgrade one server or groups of servers at a time and then move on to the next.

Since you are upgrading from a version several releases old, I'd recommend paying close attention to Swift's changelog: https://github.com/openstack/swift/blob/master/CHANGELOG. There are several things described in there that you should pay attention to (eg changing config defaults and some format changes). Everything has an upgrade path, so, although you may elect to do several upgrades in a row (rather than jumping straight to 1.8.0), you will be able to complete the upgrade with no loss to availability.

--John