[OpenStack] [Metering] Options to obtain Notifications when ceilometer generates a meter entry in the DB

Hi All,

I am currently working on an charging application to work with
ceilometer(Grizzly release).
Have been working on openstack for just couple weeks and hence have a
couple of questions:
1). I read in the documentation that the only way to access the data
generated by collector is through the API(i.e either use the cURL option or
the ceilometer pythonclient to query the required information). I am able
to do this and fetch the required data.
However, for an application to access these, is there a better way? Like,
whenever the ceilometer generates an event entry in the db, does it provide
any notification on any queues, or is there a way we can configure this to
happen?

If there is no such option, I plan to periodically poll the ceilometer
through API for the usage data. (which I sincerely feel is a bad idea).

2). From the Havana roadmap, I see an objective "Publish meters to other
systems"
Does this mean, other systems can configure to bind themselves on an AMQP
queue and ceilometer would publish notifications on this exchange?
If so, this would be a feature of Havana?
Because I was confused with the publisher feature of Grizzzly, as below
[image: Inline image 1]

Would be great if someone can help me on this.

Thanks a lot,
Deepak

PNG image

Follow ups