setup linux users

i'm having some difficulties following the tutorial at
http://docs.openstack.org/developer/swift/development_saio.html

1) the user:
i don't understand how it's meant, i guessed:
 - root for the commands
 - <your-user-name> should be "swift", a user account without login
privileges, created as:
   useradd -s /usr/sbin/nologin swift
 - some standard user with login where the ~/bin stuff goes
because the text says "Swift processes also run under a separate user and
group" (separate, so not the same as my user).
"which may not exist on your system" confusing also, does it mean it does
not need to be created? or that it probably does not exist yet, and i
should create it?
i've used the standard user to run the commands with sudo. but then i got
stuck with setting up scripts when running them as my login user (not swift
user), i got:
myuser@mymachine:~/bin$ remakerings
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/bin/swift-ring-builder", line 676, in <module>
    mkdir(backup_dir)
OSError: [Errno 13] Permission denied: 'backups'
Ring Builder file does not exist: object.builder

so: should the swift user be a standard user, and also run the scripts?

2) i don't want to get a dev version of the code, so i've followed the
install instructions from
http://docs.openstack.org/developer/swift/howto_installmultinode.html
installing swift worked, but not python-swiftclient:
myuser@mymachine:~/bin$ sudo apt-get install python-swiftclient
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Unable to locate package python-swiftclient

3) i'm setting up a vm to be used for development, but i'll also clone it
to use it for the early stage of the running live app. is there a better
tutorial somewhere?

thanks,
gonfi

Follow ups