openteachermaintainers team mailing list archive

Re: Synonyms as answers

Some other thoughts on this one:

> (marten-de-vries): I like the idea, but I see some problems:
> 1) we don't have really reliable web hosting for OpenTeacher. Yes, we've
> got your webhost, mine, and sourceforge.net, but can we trust them for
> years of use? ( Making an OpenTeacher version useless in less than 5
> years doesn't seem right to me. )
> 2) An argument from Cas ( He's an MSN contact of me ): We can't just
> rely on users' clicks on the 'correct anyway' button, because you're
> never sure if they're right. Requiring a synonym to be send multiple
> times before adding it to the list could fix this, but it's easy for
> somebody to mess up the database if he/she wants to.
Oh, and we have to think about privacy too, this should be opt-in, so it's not going to work with the current amount of users I'm afraid (Looking to the sf.net downloads untill now, every version ever released.).

> About the offline database, this is exactly where CouchDB is designed
> for, and would be the nicest way of implementing something like this. It
> also solves partly the hosting problem if implemented smart, because
> other CouchDB servers could just host an alternative database when our
> server is going down. It's a huge dependancy however,
I still like the idea, but since 'desktopcouch' is at the moment
linux-only software, this isn't going to work. Installing it isn't even
possible without a lot of skills in windows and mac os x.

> so maybe a sqlite
> DB would do too... (sqlite is supported via the sqlite3 module in python
> itself.)
It would mean we have to write all the replication stuff ourselfs. And
then we stay with the master server question.

- Marten de Vries