openteachermaintainers team mailing list archive

Blueprint cleanup

Hi Cas, Milan,

Today I gave the blueprints page a look, there are a few things in design stage that have not been discussed for quite a while. In this mail I give a summary of the last discussion so we can either discuss it further resulting in a design decision or close the blueprint. My opinions are below each subject, I'd like yours. :)

*Blueprint 1:*
Starting with: https://blueprints.launchpad.net/openteacher/+spec/update-manager - last part of the whiteboard: ' While this essentially worked (and I guess still works), it does depend on the module directory being writable. That means, we need to change the packagers quite a lot. Also, I still think Linux users don't like this. Maybe we should think about some alternate solutions:
1)
- use repositories for linux distro's
- use a small script that downloads new MSI's and upgrades them for windows
- something similar for mac?

Should be quite a lot easier now that we have automated packagers.

2)
Do nothing. Essentially what we're doing now for already quite some releases :P.'

I personally think option 2 might not be such a bad idea, although 1 is acceptable to me too (it's doable now that completely automatic packaging is completed)... The old solution is out for me (not surprising since I wrote that last piece of the whiteboard).

*Blueprint 2:
*https://blueprints.launchpad.net/openteacher/+spec/welcome-screen - I added a documentation button on the start screen instead, I think that's enough to close this one, but I'd like to hear your opinions.

Most other blueprints (those with less priority I mean) seem like nice ideas to me, but for a lot of them I don't think I'll ever implement them. Maybe we should run over the list once (IRC meeting?) and just check if at least one of us might be interested somewhere in the (far) future, and if not, close them.

Best regards,

--
Marten de Vries
marten@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx