openupgrade-drivers team mailing list archive

Re: update_module_names questions on usage

On 22-10-13 16:28, Sandy Carter wrote:
     In the pre-migration (in openupgrade/mgmtsystem/document_page_environment_manual/migrations/7.0.1.0),
     I have a call to this function in the migrate function.
         openupgrade.update_module_names(cr, [('wiki_environment_manual', 'document_page_environment_manual')])

Hi Sandy,

if I understand correctly, you call the method in the migration script of the module that needs renaming itself. That is too late in the process, the OpenERP migration manager never calls that migration script because it sees the module as a new, uninstalled module, as you have experienced.

You need to update the module name in an earlier stage. In many (or all?) cases, there is only one practical option: put it in the list of known module renames in the base module's pre-migration script [1].

We could simply adopt the community module renames in this script in the server distribution. Alternatively, a new configuration option could be created to process additional module renamings. Personally I would not mind the first option, and I think it is also the most user-friendly one so if no-one objects you should file an MP against the OpenUpgrade server distribution that adds your community module renames.

Cheers,
Stefan.

[1] http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~openupgrade-committers/openupgrade-server/7.0/view/head:/openerp/addons/base/migrations/7.0.1.3/pre-migration.py#L27