openupgrade-drivers team mailing list archive

[Question #239250]: [6.1 -> 7.0] Migration feedback

New question #239250 on OpenUpgrade Server:
https://answers.launchpad.net/openupgrade-server/+question/239250

Hi all,

Just a feedback about my migration I realized one week ago.

=== about the migration ===

Migrated modules :
- HR modules (hr, hr_expense) ;
- Accounting modules (account, account_voucher, account_accountant, account_cancel, account_chart, base_vat, l10n_fr, l10n_fr_rib, base_iban) ;
- Sale modules (sale, point_of_sale) ;
- Purchase module (purchase) ;
- Stock modules (stock, procurement) ;
- Modules I had installed, but unused : mrp ;

For me, the migration process took about one hour with a database size of 1.1Gb (with pg_dump --format=c) ;

I wrote a little script that call openupgrade, but did other things too.(3 steps) :

Step 1 :
- using my database with 6.1 source code, I realized some XML-RPC requests to do some specifics things ;

Step 2 :
- using my database with openugrapde 7.0 source code, i realized the migration process ;

Step 3 :
- using my database with OCB 7.0 source code, I realized full update and other XML-RPC requests. (principaly install new modules that I want to use and change access right for the users)

The result is stable.
My users reported to me some little bugs, but not because of openupgrade, but about changes of the V7, or about my custom modules that did'nt work correctly with the new version.

=== about the work on openupgrade ===

It's a big work ! I think that the team of OpenUpgraders is currently too small. (Therp & GRAP wrote the most of migration script for the 6.1 -> 7.0) I'm very happy too see savoirfairelinux working on 'crm' modules.

With a team of 10 active commiters & reviewers, the work could be much easier.

For me, it's not a waste of time to write script migration because it's a very good way to understand all the changes of a modules and to discovers new features.

Write the script migration of a module take no time for somes unchanged modules, a fiew hours for modules that did'nt change a lot, and up to a week for me for 'point_of_sale'. (I did'nt work on 'account' and 'base', but there was a lot of work on them).

That's all !

If you have some question about what I said, do not hesitate to answer.

If you have good or bad feedback about your migration, please share too in a new question.

Regards & see you for the 7.0 -> 8.0.

OpenUpgrade Drivers, which is an answer contact for OpenUpgrade Server.