oqgraph-dev team mailing list archive

Re: Progress on VARCHAR

Hi Antony

> But I digress. I still don't understand what is so wrong with using
> ENUM.

It shifts the enumeration to userspace, and it'd bite us and the users.

 - For any new algorithm, users would have to update their schema. Nuisance.

 - If different people add an algorithm, they'd have to pick a number. When it goes into MariaDB proper that number may have to change. For that to work we'd have to forcibly validate the ENUM component of the schema, and chuck errors if there are any discrepancies with the current codebase. Otherwise an app that uses the number instead of the name might call an incorrect algorithm.

So basically, what's the point... if we use the BGL naming of the algorithms, we should be pretty clear.
I want to get to the point in the code where adding extra algorithms becomes easy - since there are so many in BGL, it'd be good to get other people to contribute. This has to be easy as well as safe in every respect.

Any counter-argument?

Cheers,
Arjen.
--
Arjen Lentz, Exec.Director @ Open Query (http://openquery.com)
Australian peace of mind for your MySQL/MariaDB infrastructure.

Follow us at http://openquery.com/blog/ & http://twitter.com/openquery