oqgraph-dev team mailing list archive

Adding new algorithm to oqgraph

Hi All,

We recently had a situation in our backend system where we ended up with a
rather large graph (16000 edges for about 800 nodes). We found that a
particular query we run on our graph didn't perform very well, with average
runtimes of 10s, tending upwards.

Our graph looks pretty much like a simple tree, and can probably be best
visualized similarly to a git commit graph. The query we run finds all
reachable leaf nodes for a given origid. Currently we do this by querying all
reachable nodes and then filtering the results with a "WHERE NOT IN (SELECT
origid FROM graph_table)" condition, which works reasonably fast up until
around 4000/5000 edges and then drastically slows down.

I was wondering if it might be an option to add an algorithm like that
directly in oqgraph itself, without the need to specify the extra WHERE
condition, in the hope that that would eliminate the slowdown on larger
graphs. Something like

SELECT * FROM graph_table WHERE latch="leafs" AND origid=356

I had a quick look at the code to get a grasp of the complexity of that, and
while I found the location where to put it, I also noticed I don't understand
much of the code present there currently :)

We (as in the company I work for) might be interested to implement this
feature, if feasible, but as a first step, I'd just like to hear some opinions
on this :)

Grs,
Heinz