ourdelta-developers team mailing list archive

Re: SHOW/I_S *_STATISTICS

Hi Mark

On 15/10/2008, at 12:15 AM, MARK CALLAGHAN wrote:
On Mon, Oct 13, 2008 at 9:25 PM, Arjen Lentz <arjen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
You'll be happy to know that these enhancements are like a prime selling point, knowing which indexes are actually getting used is soooo useful.

Does the INDEX_STATISTICS keyword (and the others) actually need to be
reserved words?
They are now, as the equivalent information_schema tables need to be
backtick quoted in a query to not chuck a syntax error.

We have been lax about this for many of the changes we made to the
parser. It doesn't need to be a keyword.

Okidoki, then we're on the same page. Thanks.

In fact, I know the v1 heritage for this, but it might make sense for us to just remove the SHOW part of things and make it a pure INFORMATION_SCHEMA thing. Sorts out the above also, and in time someone could then turn it into a 5.1 plugin.

And on that note... there's thoughts for creating a separate schema for this and similar stuff. Either a single STATISTICS_SCHEMA.*, or like GLOBAL_STATISTICS.* and SESSION_STATISTICS.* Right now the infoschema namespace is becoming seriously polluted with things that don't really belong there (since infoschema is a standard SQL thing). What do you reckon about that... of course it is a more significant change, but adding a schema in itself is not complicated (I've done it myself once, long ago)

Comments form others welcome too, of course! I wouldn't see this changed immediately, but we could stick it in a blueprint to keep it in mind.

Cheers,
Arjen.
--
Arjen Lentz, Director @ Open Query (http://openquery.com.au/)
Training and Expertise for MySQL in Australia and New Zealand

OurDelta: free enhanced builds for MySQL @ http://ourdelta.org/