ourdelta-developers team mailing list archive

Engines compile-in or plugin in 5.1

Hi all

For 5.0 we've compiled-in Sphinx, since that's the only way we can actually get it in in that version.

For 5.1, I was going to compile all the engines straight into the binary, because the installation process might not be able to add rows to the plugin table. So this would to make actually using the plugins easier. However, it does produce a bit of binary code bloat and potentially RAM usage.

So, how about this:
We compile them in for the 5.1 bleeding edge version, but for the regular 5.1 build we make them as plugins that people still need to do the INSTALL PLUGIN ... bit for. Then for production users, they must consciously pick but it's still really easy to do and the plugin will always work since it's built in the exact version and way the main server was.

What do you reckon?

Cheers,
Arjen.
--
Arjen Lentz, Director @ Open Query (http://openquery.com.au/)
Training and Expertise for MySQL in Australia and New Zealand

OurDelta: free enhanced builds for MySQL @ http://ourdelta.org/