ourdelta-developers team mailing list archive

Reverse-engineering build options from MySQL/Sun binaries

Hi,

While researching how to build binaries for MariaDB, I found this great hint
from Roland Bouman, which Arjen and I thought might be beneficial for OurDelta
build efforts as well (eg. Solaris):

    http://rpbouman.blogspot.com/2008/07/building-mysql-from-source-theres-fine.html

Basically, the build puts the exact ./configure options and compiler flags
into the mysqlbug script, from which they can be pulled and used as a starting
point for outside build efforts.

Not that this should be needed... but the way binary packages are built at
MySQL is that they maintain seperate scripts outside of the main source trees
with all kinds of special build options needed to compile on the different
platforms. For some reason they prefer to maintain this outside even though it
creates a number of problems (like when different versions of the MySQL code
requires different build options...).

Anyway, given this, I have found looking into mysqlbug a great help in
understanding how things are done.

Hope this helps,

 - Kristian.