ourdelta-developers team mailing list archive

Re: [Question #71916]: Patch modification process

Question #71916 on OurDelta changed:
https://answers.launchpad.net/ourdelta/+question/71916

Arjen Lentz posted a new comment:
Hi Neil

On 22/05/2009, at 6:07 AM, Neil Katin wrote:
> Made a few patches to patches to fix some bugs, and the results
> aren't pretty.  I'm obviously
> doing something wrong, but I'm not sure what to change.
>
> I've make a branch in bazzar, run "quilt push" to get to the patch I
> wanted to change,
> then before I do anything I ran "quilt refresh".  I would have
> expected this to change nothing
> (since I updated no files after the "quilt push").
>
> However, "bzr diff" reports many, many changes.
>
> So, is there a version dependency on quilt or patch?  Or am I using
> the wrong process entirely?

Well, line offsets can change; since we pull in patches from Percona,
we don't keep refreshing them all the time unless something breaks on
a version upgrade. patch is decently smart as long as it has
sufficient context (default 3 lines before and after).
Also, your quilt/diff options may differ; I tend to use options to
have diff put in the extra comments to show the function it's in after
the line#.

If it's causing hassles, do paste a chunk for us to look at?

Cheers,
Arjen.
--
Arjen Lentz, Director @ Open Query (http://openquery.com)
Affordable Training and ProActive Support for MySQL & related

Follow our blog at http://openquery.com/blog/
OurDelta: free enhanced builds for MySQL @ http://ourdelta.org

OurDelta-developers, which is an answer contact for OurDelta.