ourdelta-developers team mailing list archive

Re: [Question #65524]: port of patches to 5.1.39

Question #65524 on OurDelta changed:
https://answers.launchpad.net/ourdelta/+question/65524

Arjen Lentz posted a new comment:
Hi Weldon

(cc ourdelta-developers, just remove question cc in your reply once/if
you're also connected there. It's going out of scope for this question)

On 30/09/2009, at 1:51 AM, Weldon Whipple wrote:
> (P.S. I have ported the Google/Percona/OurDelta combined patch to
> MySQL
> 5.1.39.

You did? That sounds like a significant effort, with quite a few
pitfalls.
If you indeed have it working, it'd be interesting to look at.

However, it being one giant patch is somewhat problematic in terms of
ability to review.

> Because it includes our experimental throttling modifications, it
> goes beyond the changes of OurDelta. Maybe I should separate them
> into two
> patches? I'm still trying to understand patch-based source control.
> I maintain our source in subversion. Whenever I want to generate a
> patch,
> I export the base version and the modified version and use diff to
> create a
> patch. Can anyone point to other methods that give "absolute" source
> control
> using patches? Maybe using quilt, as some Linux kernel developers do?)

OurDelta uses quilt, bzr and Launchpad.
See the readme in the base of an OurDelta bzr branch.

For 5.1, the changes would be merged into the Maria tree (also bzr/
Launchpad based).
Having one giant patch however can still pose a problem, depending on
exactly which revision it'd get merged into it could create a lot of
conflicts; plus the review of the code itself, plus the fact that in
5.1 we use XtraDB plugin not the old innobase subdirectory. And so
on... lots of differences.
But, still interesting to look at! So please do show us the goods!

Cheers,
Arjen.
--
Arjen Lentz, Exec.Director @ Open Query (http://openquery.com)
Exceptional Services for MySQL at a fixed budget.

Follow our blog at http://openquery.com/blog/
OurDelta: enhanced builds for MySQL @ http://ourdelta.org

OurDelta-developers, which is an answer contact for OurDelta.