ourdelta-developers team mailing list archive

Re: [debian-mysql] MariaDB in Debian proper?

Jonathan Aquilina <eagles051387@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

> it was mentioned to give a user choice as to what to use. i have seen for
> instance when you install gnome aside kde it asks you what desktop manager
> you want to use. Wouldnt something like that be needed in this situation?

Gnome and KDE are non-conflicting, you can install both at the same time.

The situation with MariaDB and MySQL is different. MariaDB is essentially a
different version of MySQL; the binaries are named the same, the libraries are
named the same, it runs on the same default port, etc. So only one can be
installed at a time.

In Ubuntu 9.04 for example, there is a similar situation, since they have
eg. mysql-server-5.0 and mysql-server-5.1 packages, both of which "provides:"
mysql-server. The situation with our MariaDB Debian packages is the same, both
mariadb-server-5.1 and mysql-server-5.1 "provides:" mysql-server.

 - Kristian.