p2psp team mailing list archive

Re: NAT Traversal Set of rules implementation

Hi Vicente,

On 29.06.2015 08:43, Vicente Gonzalez wrote:
> No. But we can assume that the monitor peer will run always in the
> same host that the splitter. If you configure the team in such way the
> problem persists? In any case, I would like to know what is happening ...
Ok, and thanks for explaining the reasons for this setup.
I have adapted the test to the new scenario, with monitor and splitter
on the same host and two extra peers behind NATs. Output parsing is a
bit more difficult here, I will write result tables as soon as the test
fully works.

>     Should all peers send keepalive UDP packets every few seconds to
>     the splitter, to maintain/create the NAT entry?
>

> Yes, it could help. Good idea.  Please, try this.
Ok, I will try this out over the weekend.

>     When should the NAT type determination happen, after the monitor
>     reports to the splitter that it got a "hello" from the new peer
>     (probably with a timeout, as the "hello" packet might not reach
>     the monitor if it is behind a NAT)?
>

> I don't understand well your question ... but, if running the monitor
> peer and the splitter in the same host answers it, all happy. If not,
> obviously, all polling processes need to define and deadline. In this
> case, consider the time you think that can be fine.
I'm sorry, I didn't express my question clearly.
A new peer wants to join the team, so it connects to the splitter and
sends "hello" to the monitor. I thought the peer has to wait for the
monitor to inform the splitter about the new peer's NAT type and wait
for the splitter to respond to the peer.
But in fact the peer doesn't have to wait for the splitter's reply and
the splitter doesn't need to reply to the peer. There is just a little
delay to determine the NAT type and send it to the other peers. So, the
question has resolved now. :-)

Currently I have started to write down all information gained so far
until midterm about NAT traversal and testing, as readme files into the
nts_doc branch [1].
I would like to add figures (e.g. of the network setup) to the
documentation to improve readability. So far I used to use AsciiToSvg
for such graphics, see [2] for examples. How do you create the pictures
in your paper, and which utility should I use for the documentation?

Thanks,
Max

[1] https://github.com/jellysheep/p2psp/blob/nts_doc/doc/NAT_traversal.md
[2] https://github.com/jellysheep/spheresim/wiki/Protocol