percona-discussion team mailing list archive

Re: Increasing buffer pool size online

Hi Baron, all

On 28/05/2009, at 11:52 AM, Baron Schwartz wrote:
Can we make it possible to resize the buffer pool online, without
emptying it?  For customers with O_DIRECT and a large buffer pool,
taking the server down for a restart in order to increase the buffer
pool is really bad.  This is only going to be more important as large
amounts of memory gets more common.

If it's hard to do arbitrary resize, but easier to just increase the
size, that's fine -- I think it'll be relatively rare to decrease it.

My other request would be to be able to restore the buffer pool
contents and LRU list after restart, naturally :)

Jeremy Cole had a patch for that, which should still be valid.
He confirmed that it also works with file-per-table.
Not sure about LRU.

Cheers,
Arjen.
-- Arjen Lentz, Director @ Open Query (http://openquery.com) Affordable Training and ProActive Support for MySQL & related technologies