phatch-dev team mailing list archive

usability: save description & overwrite by default

Sometimes people review Phatch and give important usabilty feedback.
For example:
http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/421366/phatch_a_multiplatform_batch_photo_pg2.html?cat=15
"At the moment, Phatch is very good at what it does. The one thing
that caught me off guard (although this was due to my own
expectations, and has nothing to do with Phatch), is that some of the
features I expected to be included were included, but as part of other
tools. For instance, I completely expected there to be a Convert
action, to allow converting between different image formats. There is
no Convert action. There is, however, this exact option available, but
I didn't see it at first (which was my fault), since it was a part of
the Save action."

This gave me the idea to change the description of the save action
from 'Save an image' to 'Save and convert to other types'. Mentioning
'an image' in a description is non information.

By the feedback on the dutch forum i feel i should enable overwrite
existing images by default. Out of the box Phatch is configured to
save in an other folder so it should be safe. The problem is that
someone plays with the fields of the actions and doesn't understand
why it doesn't update. So i think I'll change that overwrite is
enabled by default:
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/phatch/+spec/overwrite-by-default

I'll have more usability improvements in mind and I would suggest that
we prefix the these kind of messages with usability. They are details
but important, especially when someone took the effort to blog about
it.

I also like to hear your suggestions for usability improvements.

Stani

--
Phatch Photo Batch Processor - http://photobatch.stani.be
SPE Python IDE - http://pythonide.stani.be