phatch-dev team mailing list archive

Re: blender conference

2009/10/7 Juho Vepsäläinen <bebraw@xxxxxxxxx>:
> Hi,
>
> 2009/10/7 Stani <spe.stani.be@xxxxxxxxx>:
>> Hi Juho,
>> Do you plan add do some more blender power to phatch before the
>> blender conference? Such as:
>> - support for any blend file
>> - node editor action
>> Best regards,
>> Stani
>
> I have to spend some time on those before the trip. I will be leaving
> on 14th to Italy so that's my personal deadline.
>
> Currently there are a couple of things you can probably provide some
> useful pointers for:
> 1. How to construct choices of choicefield in Phatch dynamically?
Be sure you have merged with revision 1509 of trunk. Than you can do
for example in get_relevant*:
image_size = self._get_field('Image Size')
image_size.set_choices(selected_object.image_size_choices)

> (If
> you can point me to load choices from given text file for instance, I
> could extrapolate what I need based on that.
I guess you know how to open  a text file in python.

> If possible, it should be
> set up so that if the file gets changed, the choicefield updates
> automagically (timer  + hook to check file modification time?
> Alternatively use inotify on Linux
> (http://trac.dbzteam.org/pyinotify). Perhaps there's something similar
> for the other OSes).)
I guess the change of the file is predictable, so we can use a lighter
solution. Can you clarify a scenario when there would be a change that
phatch doesn't couldn't guess? Eg if the user gives a new blend file,
you can check for that in the get_relevant_* method. For an example of
getting the modification time of a file see lib/thumbnail.py
get_mtime.

> 2. How to handle the spawning of Blender node editor? It probably
> takes some custom UI widget for this I suppose. (Ie. have "Launch
> Blender" button in "Node Editor" Action. Note that it should spawn
> Blender only ~once~ to avoid overwriting the .blend containing the
> node graph (sync issue)).
And what happens when you have two node editor actions? You need to
decide if you make the node graph storable in some text format, which
can be embedded in the *.phatch action list, or if you use blender
files for it. I guess blender files are the more easy and quick
solution, but maybe not the best. If you use blender files they should
be stored alongside the action list. Maybe you should check first to
see how easy it is to extract the node graph. But if the python  api
does not support it we have no choice than using blender files. If
this api will be provided by blender 2.50 i would propose to  postpone
this feature and to focus first on using any blender file for texture
rendering.

> 3. Where to stash node editor .blends and how? I suppose a temporary
> folder might do the trick for now.
Temporary is fine if you can extract and reconstruct the node graph.

Best regards,
Stani

PS Moved this to phatch-dev.

--