phatch-dev team mailing list archive

Re: Phatch and exotic imagemagick file formats (movies, ...)

> It just can treat a movie like an image, which means it will only use
> one frame. (Don't ask me which one, look up the imagemagick
> documentation.)
>
> I got a Phatch alert from Google:
> http://sourceforge.net/blog/a-new-simple-batch-image-converter-for-linux/
>
> The author claims: "Phatch that is a great software that does a lot of
> interesting things.  But Converseen is more immediate to use and
> supports more formats then Phatch."
>
> Hmmm... more formats?! I checked which image library he uses, and that
> is Magick++ (=imagemagick). So we can support also all formats that
> imagemagick can do:
>
> $ identify -list format
>
> When I first added imagemagick support I didn't expose all formats,
> just the more common ones for two reasons:
> - I felt exposing all formats in the GUI would clutter the interface
> - Imagemagick support for Phatch was back than in beta, so I preferred
> to limit it. Also I know  e.g. that the support of SVG by imagemagick
> is pretty bad. That is why Phatch uses Inkscape for that.
>
> So what should we do: expose all image formats from ImageMagick?

Hmm, I don't think we need to expose them all. At least not now. Maybe we
can figure out a nice GUI interface to expose them. But I don't see a point
in doing it at this stage. Right now we can only convert to types supported
by PIL, right? We have more pressing issues and features that are
more relevant to users than supporting rarely used types.

Best regards,
Nadia