phatch-dev team mailing list archive

Re: Notes from Meeting on 20100404 (Easter)

On Mon, Apr 5, 2010 at 2:09 AM, Robin Mills <robin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Guys
>
> Here are the notes that I made about the meeting today:
Hi Robin,
Thanks for your notes, which are excellent as usual!

> 1 Robin to investigate the DMG that Nadia sent
> - at this moment, Robin hasn't been able to get it to run on Leopard or Snow Leopard
> - it's crashing on startup when libpyexiv2.so is loaded into memory (I think I can remove or replace it and Phatch will run)
> - if necessary, Robin's going to pull down Nadia's branch and use py2app get build
> - Robin's still got outstanding issues for maczip with PIL and ImageMagick and building Nadia's code will probably clear up those matters
OK, getting Phatch to work on Mac is top priority! Probably the
libpyexiv2.so is not an universal build, but Robin you know more about
this than me. I am sure it is the best in your hands. I would like you
to focus first on this before doing other work.

> Nadia's build instructions:
> bzr branch lp:~nadiana/phatch/phatch-app-new
> cd phatch-app-new
> python setup.py py2app
> http://us.pycon.org/media/2010/talkdata/PyCon2010/038/paper.html#id19
Great! Nadia, I guess you still have some work refactoring out the
hacks. Any idea when that will be ready?

> 2 Robin to pickup Mac installer work that we hoped Anthony would undertake
> - André wants us to post a single DMG with Phatch.app (to be dragged to the /Applications or ~/Applications)
Phatch consists of two applications: the photo batch processor and the
image inspector, which are both installed in the start menu in Windows
and Linux. I would prefer not to launch the whole Phatch application
if I just want to inspect some images. Is it possible to do something
similar for the Mac?

> - André doesn't like installers because they usually require administrator privileges
So how about installers which don't require administrator privileges?
Or is that not an option on the Mac.

> - It might be necessary to have several DMGs [small, bigger (with Blender), fat (with Blender and Inkscape)]
I prefer not. Mac and Windows don't have the dependency infrastructure
as Linux. So we should give our users a "make it just work out of the
box" experience.
* We can't expect our end users to know what Blender is. Blender is
actually really small (compressed only a few mb) so there is no need
to exclude it. Removing Blender breaks the Blender action and two
action lists from the library. Also it maybe will confuse people and
let them think that maybe they need download and install Blender
themselves. There are several issues with this: they might install the
wrong version (eg Blender 2.5 which works with python3) and we need to
implement more code to find out if there is Blender installed etc...
* Inkscape however should never be included as it only deals with
opening Inkscape files and not for any action. So it only makes sense
for people who use Inkscape anyway.

The installer for Windows including Imagemagick and Blender is only
22mb, which is fine. Of course I have removed unnecessary components
see the clean_*.bat files:
http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~stani/phatch/trunk/files/head:/setup/windows/

> - I've made no conclusion about this until I investigate.
Providing different versions like small, bigger and fat makes also the
download page more complex is not necessary. Just concentrate on the
same version as we do for Windows.

> 3 Robin to send the icon extract code to André (done) http://clanmills.com/files/ix.zip
André, it would be good if you learn Inkscape or a similar program
which can produce SVG images. The Phatch actionlist icon according to
the Mac HIG is the first, but probably not the last Mac specific icon
we need. It would improve the whole process a lot, as in that case it
is not just about pointing out the wrong icons (which is very welcome,
but doesn't change things), but actually fixing them.

> 4 André to get the French translation work done.  (Com'on André - it isn't going to hurt a lot.  I'm working on a 200 page German->English manual translation in the field of Structural Engineering)
That would be great!
http://74.125.77.132/search?q=cache:http://www.kompilesoft.info/translating-mac-software-into-french-for-free/
(google cache as main site seems to be down)

> 5 André and Robin to discuss the menu bar short cuts (done)
André has sent me the proposal, to which I have reacted already. It
still needs more work. After this being discussed we need someone to
implement it.

> 6) Robin to send the book "Programming in Objective-C 2.0" (Stephen G Kochan, Second Edition) to André
>
> 7) Robin's to investigate providing a QuickLook plugin for .phatch files
> - André would like to implement this.
> - I suspect this is too ambitious for a first project - however let's see what's involved.
Robin, would you agree to mentor him?

>  If it's as simple as just listing the individual actions to be executed, this should be quite easy.  Rendering images however will have either a performance penalty or some kind of caching complexity.
André, could you first make a screenshot mock up of how the QL preview
will look?

> - It's very unlikely that this can be ready for 0.2.8.

> // coming up
> Nadia will be travelling 1 week in June and 3 in July
> André will be travelling 1 week in early May
>
> // sending Phatch for the Mac to Carl (The PyCon Video guy)
> I'll give Nadia and update on item (1) above and her and Stani can communicate this with Carl.
Robin, I prefer if you communicate with Carl about issues how to set
up Phatch on a Mac.

> // next meeting
> Not set.  Let's see how we move forward.
Please announce next meetings to the phatch-dev mailing lists, so
maybe more people can join.

>  And of course, let's listen to what Stani has to say about the stuff above.
It is my pleasure ;-)

I need to fix the file associations for Windows in a better way. My
time for Phatch might be more tight this month as we have to move
house.

Keep up the good work!
Stani

--