phpdevshell team mailing list archive

[Question #210689]: Is there a more detailed tutorial for how to use the upgrade feature of a plugin

New question #210689 on PHPDevShell:
https://answers.launchpad.net/phpdevshell/+question/210689

Hey, I wanted to let you guys know how much I am loving PDS and how surprised I am it took me this long to hear about it.

Anyways though, I have only made two plugins so far and am still barely starting to understand how everything works in PDS, my question right now being: Is there a more detailed instructional on how to use the upgrade part of the plugins? I read through the beginners tutorial and it helped me understand a great deal, I have also been reading through the Example plugin provided and that has also been a wonderful resource, however I still have not been able to figure out how the upgrade feature works.

I guess my main questions about it are these:
There is the main <version> and I'm assuming that is just to show the user what version it is in a "human readable" form
Then you have the <versionurl current=11> This one I can understand a bit, it checks the xml at the url provided, if it is higher than the current number then it needs to be upgraded

Now the part I don't understand:
<install version="3000"> and
<upgrade version="3003">

First of all, if the current version is say 12(provided in the example at http://www.phpdevshell.org/content/plugin-config-file) then how would the script know to upgrade to 3003? I'm assuming it checks the install version and just installs anything higher than that, but if that's the case how do you set up the new plugin config file in the zip that is downloaded when an upgrade occurs?

do you manually set the install version to the current upgrade version or does the PDS system automatically change the install version as it upgrades them..

I apologize if I am over complicating this but I love the PDS system and really hope to come to understand everything about it to get the full experience out of it.

Thanks for the time and help!

PHPDevShell, which is an answer contact for PHPDevShell.