pkgme-devs team mailing list archive

Re: Backend specific rules template?

On Sat, 2010-12-18 at 13:02 -0500, Barry Warsaw wrote:
> So, pkgme is starting to look really great and I think the last round of
> branches merged make it pretty useable.  One thing I'd like to do though is

I guess I need to get that ruby backend going.. ;)

> Clearly the backend will need to provide some information.  But should it also
> be able to provide its own debian/rules template?  If so, should that be
> distributed with the backend (for third party backends) or provided as output
> from the helper scripts?

The backend should be able to provide 2 things that will achieve this:

1) extra argments to dh
2) a rules snippet to add to the end, much like debhelper does for
maintainer scripts.

I don't think it should provide a rules file. The goal is to keep it
simple and undaunting for users. A small part of this is not having a
lot of complicated rules for building.

Lets not pretend that dh will do exactly what we want from the outset.
It takes times for features to become default. However, the goal
*should* be to have the default minimal dh rules work. So really, the
focus should be on doing as much of this work in dh, and accepting a
less-perfect generated package until those bits are part of a default
run of debhelper.